Sabudana Khichdi or Sago pearls Khichdi is a popular snack from southern states of India, however, it is fondly consumed in all Indian states such as Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka, alike. Although regarded as a breakfast meal, the dish is suitable for being an evening snack as well. This cuisine is a great source of protein and has many health benefits such as muscle growth, bone density and fighting fatigue.
- Soaked Sago Pearls: 2 cups
- Peanuts: 10 gms
- Boiled potatoes: 2, medium size
- Chopped onion: ½ cup (optional)
- Chopped Tomatoes: ¼ cup
- Chopped green chilies: 2-3
- Finely chopped: Coriander leaves to garnish
- Lemon juice: 1 tbs.
- Cumin seeds: ¼ tea spn.
- Vegetable oil or Ghee: 2 tbs.
- Red chili powder, salt and black pepper to taste
- Ginger, Garlic and other vegetables (optional, according to taste and preference)
- Rinse the sago pearls, soaked for 4 hours then transfer them into a strainer. Keep them aside for 15 minutes so that excess water is drained.
- Take a pan, dry roast or shallow fry the peanuts in half a table spoon oil or ghee. Transfer them into a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in the pan, ensure that the ghee spreads evenly in the whole pan, to avoid sticking of the sago pearls in it. Add cumin seeds, wait for them to crackle. Add boiled potato cubes and sauté them until they are golden.
- Add chopped onions and stir fry till they are pink.
- Add peanuts, that were kept aside
- Add chopped tomatoes (optional vegetables, garlic, ginger etc.) and green chilies in the pan.
- Now add soaked sago pearls in the pan and keep stirring them on medium flame.
- Add lemon juice, salt and red chili powder/black pepper to taste.
- Cook the mixture for five to ten minutes on low flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the flame and transfer the cooked khichdi into serving bowl/plate.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with curd or Tea.
Good enough for serving 2 people.
Sabudana Khichdi is a great source of protein and has many health benefits such as muscle growth, bone density and fighting fatigue.